Saturday 23 April 2011

All I Need To Learn About Life, I Learned From The Easter Bunny

Coventry D50  20-04-2011 07-05-53

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Walk softly and carry a big carrot.
Everyone needs a friend who is all ears.
There's no such thing as too much candy.
All work and no play can make you a basket case.
A cute little tail attracts a lot of attention.
Everyone is entitled to a bad hare day.
Let happy thoughts multiply like rabbits.
Some body parts should be floppy.
Keep your paws off other people's jellybeans.
Good things come in small-sugarcoated packages.
The grass is greener in someone else's basket.
An Easter bonnet can tame even the wildest hare.
To show your true colors you have to come out of the shell.
The best things in life are still sweet and gooey.

~Unknown~

I celebrated Easter earlier by taking part in an Easter egg and spoon race organised by my colleagues.  It was just an excuse to be out in the glorious sun and have some fun before the long break. I think about 25 of us participated and nearly all of the staff turned out to support. We made so much noise that staff from nearby offices came out  to see what was going on. I bet they were surprised to see librarians having soo much fun.Warwick University FZ28  21-04-2011 11-40-03

We all thought that it was going to be a walk in the park. Imagine to our great surprise when we checked out the site. It was an obstacle course!!! We had to run up and down a meandering slope, going under and jumping over barriers. Imagine doing that and holding a tiny wooden spoon with a plastic egg!!! It was hilarious but fun. I dropped my egg and when it fell and opened, a marble rolled out and disappeared. I had to stop to find it and a few colleagues helped but it was definitely lost.

Luckily, I was given a 2nd. chance. But I spent so much time laughing that I was among those who came last. Off course, there were a few cheaters but who cares, huh? Congratulations to WFP for being champion. He was soo steady and didn’t drop the egg even once. We also had a raffle and I won an Easter egg. Woo-hoo and it only cost me 40p. What a bargain. All these was done for charity and I think it was for the Tsunami victims. Well done to everyone who took part and those who came to support.

It was a 4-day working week and I just couldn’t wait for the weekend to start. I thought the arrival of new books had eased but I spoke too soon. They kept on coming and coming. Luckily, except for GLW who was holidaying in Kiwi-land, the department was a full house. Fingers-crossed, we won’t have any deliveries next week.

I also participated in the Cataloguing and Indexing Group forum on Resource, Discovery and Access. I attended the executive brief last week and this was a follow-up to that. Nearly 200 institutions were involved and it was a very lively discussion. It was an eye-opener to learn the many concerns and ideas from fellow librarians about this new standard. I learnt a lot from that forum.

Since I spent most of my working hours sitting, a walk during my lunch break is a must. I did checked out to see if the swans were nesting at their usual site. Nada, zilch, zero. The Estates had cleared so much of the reed beds that there was no place for the swans to build a nest. Was it done on purpose? I think they were trying to hinder the swans from nesting here. It was very sad if that was true. The nesting swans were always an attraction to everyone.

As I continued on, I spotted a nesting Canada Geese at the other end of the lake. I guess you can’t stop all birds from nesting where they want to.  Pied wagtails and swallows were whizzing all over the place. Herons were fishing at opposite ends of the lake. I was very surprised to see a pair of Coots busy feeding their 4 very demanding chicks. These very ugly but adorable babies were squeaking their heads off, crying to be fed. Warwick University D50  18-04-2011 12-44-23

A few bluebells flowering along the way reminded me to check the bluebells at Tocil wood. I walked there the next day and they were still contemplating :-). There was a carpet haze of blue under the canopy of ash, oak and ash trees. Some had bloomed but majority were waiting for the right time. I think it might take another few days. I couldn’t wait to come again to photograph these iconic sights of spring. Warwick University D50  19-04-2011 12-28-30

Tennyson speaks of bluebell juice being used to cure snake-bite. The romantic poets of the 19th century, such as Keats and Tennyson believed bluebells symbolised solitude and regret. To me they are a timeless example of the antiquity of our ancient woodlands. While waiting for the bluebells to bloom, I’ve got these wood anemones to content with. There were drifts of them doted all over the forest floor.Warwick University FZ28   15-04-2011 12-32-43We haven’t made any definite plans for the long Easter break. Everything depends on the weather and Babe’s health. I’m hoping for glorious sunshine during the day and showers to cool the night and also to give the garden a good soaking. I’ve got plenty of books to keep me occupied and a trip to the garden centre is a must. I need more composts and plants for my hanging baskets.

I wish everyone a wonderful Easter, stay easy on the chocolates and Easter eggs and please be safe on the road. 

Some Things That Easter Brings

Easter duck and Easter chick,
Easter eggs with chocolate thick,
Easter hats for one and all,
Easter bunny makes a call!
Happy Easter always brings
Such a lot of pleasant things!

~Elsie Parrish~

Coventry D50  20-04-2011 07-07-04

No comments:

Post a Comment