Sunday, 13 January 2013

Back to Work Blues

It was a very sad goodbyes to late lie-ins and lazy mornings of home-made waffles in pyjamas and furry slippers. And hello to getting dressed in the dark, going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. It was a shock to the system after nearly three weeks away from the desk as I very reluctantly settle back into the work routine. Before getting into the car, we had to scrapped the ice. We couldn’t feel our fingers. The mild start to 2013 had also came to an abrupt end as temperatures dropped below zero at the start of a cold snap expected to last for weeks. Winter at last !!!Warwick University D3100  14-01-2013 10-55-42

Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour

~John Boswell~

I’d to take the bus to and from work for a few days as Babe had caught the ‘man-flu’. My Prince had turned into a frog and was even croaking like one. It was hard on him especially when he’d other health problems to content with. Then I started sniffling and coughing, again. Oh no… I know it wasn’t the flu cos I’d my jab ages ago. We both went down with nasty cold viruses and the residue of it was still lingering. I dragged myself to work because I don’t want to call in sick after only 3 days starting work. I took it very easy at work and sat quietly at my desk. This adorable Pied wagtail kept me company.     Warwick University D3100  14-01-2013 12-39-05

Things too were falling apart around us. The toilet handle broke and we couldn’t flush the toilet. We informed the landlord and he couldn’t come ASAP. The hot water tap in the bath was blocked again. The electric kettle top fell off and the fog light died a day before MOT!!! Not the best of starts to a new year. But at least, this orchid was blooming beautifully, a burst of pink to cheer me up. Coventry D7000 F  13-01-2013 23-13-50

The weekend was something to look forward to. On Saturday, I took the bus into town to run some errands. I returned the library books and used their fantastic self-service machine when I borrowed more books. It was very easy to use, Then I waited at the very busy Specsavers to have my eyes tested. I think I definitely need to be wearing glasses as I’m having problems reading at night. The lovely sales assistant and I had fun choosing the glasses solely for VDU use only. Librarian chic comes into mind. Babe and I will check out a few retail outlets for another pair of tri-vision glasses.

When I left the shop, I could hear loud drummings outside the Lower Precinct. I joined the crowd and to my upmost delight, a group of Morris dancers were performing. Woo-hoo…but I kicked myself because my camera was at home!!! A first for me. I was there for about 30 minutes before I made my way to M&S. I wanted to get a talcum powder and checked out the sales, if there was any left. A few rails were still standing and I managed to pick 3 dresses to try on. The funny thing was that a woman was trailing after me because she’d an eye on one of the dresses. Oh no, she’s not having it until I tried it on. I tried all the dresses and decided on the shift dress which would look good with a pair of black pants or black tights and boots. Fortunately, the purple floral classic dress was a bit too ‘old’ for me and gave it to the woman who was waiting outside the changing room. She was that desperate. I hoped it fitted her and that I’d made her happy.

On Sunday, after days of wallowing in the house, Babe wanted to get some fresh air and stretch his legs. We popped over to our favourite playground to grab a bit of the winter sun. Reed buntings were out and about along the path. Robins were either singing their hearts out on the tree tops or pestering us, begging for food. Unfortunately, I’d forgotten to bring any mealworms. Redpolls were still flying in and feeding on the birch tree outside Baldwin Hide.Brandon Marsh D7000 F  17-01-2013 13-41-59The path was still very muddy. We spotted the very bright Scarlet Elfcups on the fallen deciduous woods along the path near Teal Pool Hide. Outside East Marsh Hide, dozens of Wigeons were busy grazing on the Wigeon Bank. They were so intent on feeding that they stopped whistling. We went to Carlton Hide and waited and waited. A Great Spotted Woodpecker landed on the dead tree. The hide began to fill up. The Bittern watchers had arrived and the noise level went up. A cue for us to leave.Brandon Marsh D300s X2  13-01-2013 14-41-28

Life, so far, had been easy, calm and quiet  as we settled into 2013. It was time for slowing down, for taking stock as the dormant month of January crept onwards. I had not been out walking during my lunch breaks, preferring to catch up with the blogging world. At home, I curled up with a book and a hot-water bottle by my feet.  I went to bed early. January was definitely a slow month, a winter month, an uncompromising dark month.Coventry D7000  14-01-2013 09-39-24

To live content with small means.
To seek elegance rather than luxury,
    and refinement rather than fashion.
To be worthy not respectable,
    and wealthy not rich.

To study hard, think quietly, talk gently,
    act frankly, to listen to stars, birds, babes,
    and sages with open heart, to bear all cheerfully,
    do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.
In a word, to let the spiritual,
    unbidden and unconscious,
    grow up through the common.

This is to be my symphony

~William Ellery Channing~

An appropriate verse for January don’t you think? A reminder for us to slow down.

I received another sad news from Malaysia. There was another death in my family. My uncle, Pak Ngah Aziz had passed away peacefully. Inna lilla wa inna lilla hirra jiun.

Coventry D7000 F  13-01-2013 23-15-02

No comments:

Post a Comment