Monday 28 May 2012

To the Daisy

I love this daisy meadow and they always reminded me of daisy chains from the stories I read when I was younger. William Wordsworth wrote in 1820 in his poem “To the daisy”Warwick University D3100  18-05-2012 12-46-58

In youth from rock to rock I went,
From hill to hill in discontent
Of pleasure high and turbulent,
Most pleased when most uneasy;
But now my own delights I make, -
My thirst at every rill can slake,
And gladly Nature's love partake
Of Thee, sweet Daisy!

There were hundreds of these idyllic meadows scattered all over the campus grounds. Nobody bothered to stop and notice these very pretty, tiny flowers  like coloured jewels among the grass, They bob their heads in the breeze and adding a splash of colour to a bleak ground. How could anyone missed them is a mystery and worse still, trampling on them!!!Warwick University D3100  18-05-2012 12-46-25

It was wonderful to be able to share what I’d learnt from the Library of Congress H classification webinar with my colleagues. We spent nearly 2 hours trying to absorb and make sense of the schedule. It was very challenging and a great diversion to what we have been used to. This ensured a very lively participation and heated discussions among ourselves which was fantastic. I was so pleased that we are very passionate about our professions. Well-done and thanks a million guys for making it a success. A bunch of French lavender from my garden are for all of you.

Coventry D7000 M F  22-05-2012 10-21-51

After the very hard work, I met HR for lunch at the Fusion Bar. We’d a nice surprise because there was a promotional offer of 2 meals plus a drink for only £10. So we joined the very long queue and trying to make up our mind on what to eat. I’d my favourite vegetarian udon while HI tucked into burgers and chips. We then joined AC who was already there. It was lovely enjoying our meals while exchanging news and laughter. It was wonderful just to chill out for a while,

This week, I took the bus to work because Babe was having one of his bad days.  If it was a lovely day, AM and I would stop at the Westwood Campus and walked in through the Science Park. It would take us about 20 minutes to reach the office. We try to find ways to exercise especially when our jobs involved sitting on our a---s for  8 hours. On this particular day, it started raining as we were walking and the faster we walked, the heavier it fell. It was hilarious and thankfully we didn’t arrived at work looking like a drowned cat.

On Saturday, after returning and borrowing more books from the public library, I joined a dozen volunteers to paint the Riley Square. Bell Green is one of the most deprived area in Coventry and I will always support anyone who tries to better their community. A pity I don’t have my camera with me.

The world need dreamers and the world need doers. But above all, the world need dreamers who do.

~Sarah Ban Breatnach~

Then Babe and I went into the city centre. Babe wanted to check out the jewellers for a watch and moi wanted to take some photographs for the Coventry calendar competition. Unfortunately, we didn’t get either. Babe didn’t see any that he liked and it was such a dull day for photographs. I bought 2 Coventry tea-towels for the 2 Ann’s in Finland and the US as a thank you gift. We also checked out the market but it was just too crowded for us. We listened to a choir, singing their hearts out, near Sainsbury and then headed home.

After doing the dinner and made a batch of Apple Struedel Muffins, I watched the finals of the UEFA cup and what a match it was. Well-done to Chelsea FC's. The victory against FC Bayern München made them the first London club to win the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Champions League title in its 107-year history in dramatic fashion on Bayern's home turf. And what a nail-biting ending.

Sunday was spent at our usual playground. The Red Crested Pochard was still in residence outside the Baldwin Hide. From East Marsh, we spotted a very sleepy Barnacle Goose on the main island. 3 very adorable Lapwing chicks were feeding on the mudbanks just below the hide. The parents will fly in and check on them from time-to-time. 2 Oyster Catcher chicks and their parents were feeding on the Teal banks and a Muntjac buck made a brief appearance.

Brandon Marsh D300s X2  22-05-2012 14-09-28 Oyster Catcher with a chick

From the main island, we spotted a Dunlin, Little Ringed plover and a Wood Sandpiper. Unfortunately, they were feeding quite a distance away. But it was still lovely to see them especially the Wood Sandpiper. RSPB had given them an amber status, as there were only 4-8 nesting birds in Britain. A cuckoo and a Cetti Warbler was heard but not seen, as usual.

Brandon Marsh D300s X2  20-05-2012 15-25-040Well-camouflaged Lapwing chicks 

I was soo jealous when I came across this beautiful floral display of clematis and wisteria, adorning the pathway of the Social Studies building. They were among my favourite flowers and I have visions of them draping our casa. I have planted 2 clematis and they will take at least a year before they established themselves and started flowering. I  am still hunting for a clematis shrub. 

Warwick University D3100  18-05-2012 12-30-23

Bright and glorious is that revelation,
Written all over this great world of ours;
Making evident our own creation,
In these stars of earth, these golden flowers.

~ Flowers by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~

No comments:

Post a Comment